Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Power of Words


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29

“Not that song!” I exclaimed as I jumped off the couch to grab my phone and fast-forward to the next song on the playlist.

“Wow, that really got a reaction out of you! I’ve never seen you move that fast!” laughed my wife. “Why don’t you like that song, anyway?”

“You know why.” I said. “It’s the song we were singing when I was in junior high and the choir director shamed me in front of everybody.”

My wife knows me well enough to just let it drop, as she had heard the story before, even if she didn’t remember which song it was that caused me so much pain. The truth is, though, that it wasn’t the song that caused the pain. It just caused me to remember the pain. Whenever I hear the first notes of the song all the embarrassment and hurt feelings just come flooding back as if it were yesterday. Even after 40 years and a lot of healing, and even though I can talk about it and even laugh about it now, there is something about hearing that song that brings it all back.

It all started when the new church choir director decided that us junior highers were going to sing this beautiful but hopelessly hard song to sing. None of us seemed to be able to get it right – the required range called for professionals, not junior highers whose voices were changing – and the choir director got madder and madder. He had a vision for what it would sound like, and we just weren’t measuring up to his high standards. I’m sure he felt pressure to get it right; he was newly hired and everyone was expecting great performances by the church choirs and musicians.

Anyway, for whatever reason, he got angrier and angrier until he finally blew up. Intense instructions and terse exhortations gave way to outright yelling at us. And then, to make it worse, he singled me out and screamed at me, telling me to try harder. We tried again, and I guess reality hit him or something, because then he simply told me to just pretend to sing, just lip sync while the others he selected sang louder.

I was so embarrassed I wanted to go climb under a rock and hide there for days. Remember, I was in junior high and kids that age seem to feel everything a little more deeply than everyone else. Sometimes something happens when you are at that age and it seems like your whole world is crashing in on you.

I somehow made it through the choir practice but I was never the same. I quit choir, avoided church and the choir director and even the other kids. I distanced myself from church and, in some ways, from God. In fact, I didn’t really have much of a relationship with Him again until I was 23 and had a life-changing event that made me think about eternity and spiritual things. I gave my life back to Him and have never regretted it.

It took me several years, though, of going to church and growing in Christ to get to the point where I could sing along with everyone else without fear of embarrassment. And when I felt called to the ministry and went to Bible college, it became apparent that I would need to be able to lead singing in small groups or classes even if I wasn’t a musician or worship team leader. So I talked to a trusted musician friend about it and he told I wasn’t tone-deaf, just tone-challenged! Just lead out, he said, and as others joined in the singing, let the better singers take the lead.

So I’m still not singing any solos in public, but I sure enjoy singing to the Lord in the car or wherever I can find solitude. And, believe it or not, He really enjoys it when I sing to Him. He created me, He is the one who made my voice the way it is, and since He likes to hear me, that’s good enough for me. And since I am secure in His love for me, I can start up a song in a small group or even a large group if the Lord leads that way. He has healed me from those wounds of so long ago and He has made me whole again.

The lesson in all this is twofold. First, the Lord really does enjoy it when we sing His praises. So don’t hold back. Whatever is in your heart, sing it to the Lord and enjoy being in His presence. Don’t worry about hitting the right notes or forgetting some of the words, just go for it and enjoy being with Him. Sing His praises, give Him thanks, and call to mind His faithfulness as you sing hymns, choruses and other spiritual songs. And don’t be surprised if He gives you some new words to a song or even a whole new song as you let loose and express your love and affection for Him.

The second thing I hope to have communicated is that words really do have power behind them. A poison tongue can inflict wounds that take years to heal. Harsh words, outright lies, hurtful put-downs, even a joke at someone’s expense can tear a person down and keep them from being everything God wants them to be. Uplifting and encouraging words, on the other hand, can empower, equip, and motivate a person to be all that they can be. So guard your tongue and choose your words wisely; you never know the effect you are having on those who are listening to you.

Let’s Pray Together: Lord, help me to guard my tongue and be a blessing to others, not a stumbling block. Help me to build others up, not tear them down. Forgive me for when I have fallen short and hurt others. I love you, Lord; help me to express my emotions for you in songs. I confess that I have felt shame in my singing or lack of talent; help me to get over that and sing wholeheartedly to You...(continue praying as you feel led)


Action Point: Make a plan for a time and place for you to have some alone time with God. Think about the songs you enjoy and want to sing to Him. Put some thought and effort into it – make a playlist if you want music to sing along with or print off some song sheets if you need help remembering the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment